I’ve been working intermittently over the past two years without posting any updates, so here are another group of pictures. In the last posting I had installed the front suspension and rear axle housing, axles, differential, brakes and fuel system. Now all of that has been rechecked and re-torqued to ensure that nothing was missed. I assembled the instrument cluster with a N.O.S. clock because I really wanted the tic-tock second hand movement like original instead of the sweeping second hand with the aftermarket or restored units being offered.
I installed the wiring, A/C and dash. The dash is was prepped and painted with the special suede paint that isn’t available anymore, but I found some old stock and had it mixed to perfection. The original engine and transmission were completely rebuilt with the engine receiving new pistons, a three angle valve job, Mopar adjustable hydraulic rockers and purple camshaft. I’m a purist, but it a mild grind just a little more aggressive than stock and ground using modern fuel and exhaust overlap and duration. The Holley shop rebuilt the original Holley 4-bbl carb the engine looks totally sweet hemi orange against the B5 brite blue metallic paint.
This is a matching number engine and transmission and most importantly all original sheet metal car from Arizona that has a “Show Car” designation on the factory build sheet. So, the body was stripped and then hand prepped on every surface before “Show Car Quality” sealer was applied to the seams. Then the car was sealed and primed and the body painted in the High Impact paint. Instead of leaving the bottom in primer the bottom side also has a show car finish.
This car was built to be driven and look perfect for years to come so every part was painted or coated in the original factory color to match the factory assembly except it’s now protected from the elements. My goal is to have a new 1971 Challenger R/T except this one won’t rust or corrode.
Take a look at the new pictures. I’ll take more as the transmission and driveshaft are now in the car and I’m finishing the engine compartment details.
Now the interior is going together. The carpet is cut to match the original carpet that I saved. This allowed me to form it exactly like it came from the factory when the car was new.
The engine was installed and now all the lines and fitting are being completed. Notice the level of detail as every part has been reconditioned and plated just like when the car was new.
The body is together and all the seem line up perfectly. Now it ready for final paint. But, before that happens the rest of the interior will go in. The car is further along than in the photos. So I need to catch up and post again.